Getting to grips with the figures in your business is essential. And this is true whether the economy is in boom time or gloom time.
If your eyes glaze over at the mention debtors and creditors. If you panic thinking about net profit or cash. Then it’s more important than ever to face up to the figures….
We often cringe watching Dragons Den when would-be entrepreneurs stumble and trip. So often they just don’t know the key numbers.
The cash flow of your business is its lifeblood. The cliché, “turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, and cash flow is reality” is completely and utterly true.
Six key questions to ask...
Having a good handle on what cash is coming in and going out is fundamental to the success of any business. Here are SIX questions to ask yourself:
- What’s your annual financial plan? Do you know the numbers?
- Is there a month-by-month cash flow forecast? Again, do you know the numbers?
- Do you regularly review it and amend it?
- Do you just try and increase your sales and assume or hope that this will be good for business?
Beware: increased sales are not the same as increased profits and DEFINITELY not the same as increased cash!
- Are you tight on your credit terms with your clients and suppliers? Keeping tabs on the amount owing to you reduces the amount of cash tied up in the business and reduces the risk of people not paying you at all.
- Do you take advantage of all free credit facilities available to you from your suppliers? If you have 30 days to pay, do not pay after seven.
You can use your cash flow forecast to model and anticipate potential changes in your businesses, such as a change in turnover, an increase or decrease in prices. Knowing these figures and playing around with them helps you get to grips with the money, feel more organised and confident.
Thanks for taking the time to read this article.
When you’re ready, why not schedule up a call with Johnny to discuss how to put the steps in place to accelerate your business growth plans.
A first chat costs nothing and we’re always keen to explore ways to help you achieve sustainable profitable growth…
Just click this link, it will show you availability in my calendar – just grab a slot that suits you and it will automatically set up and schedule a Zoom meeting and send all the necessary invitations to calendars and email…