The most important thing (And we’ve said this before) is to be brilliant at what you do.
If you want to really get ahead, it’s important that your business is set up so that you’re THE most respected in your market sector; the company most trusted by customers and most envied by competitors.
To help understand this, think about your business for a moment and imagine it as an animal – what do you want it to be? A lion? A gazelle? A killer whale? What ever animal you chose, it is unlikely that you chose ‘hedgehog’. But why not?
Take a few moments to consider what humble hedgehogs have in their favour:
- They’ve worked out what they can be brilliant at
They’ve worked out how to be brilliant at it
They stick to what they do brilliantly
When a fox decides to attack a hedgehog, does the would-be victim think, “shall I have a go at running away today?” NO!it rolls into a spiky impregnable ball just like it’s ancestor have done for 15 million years! A world-class strategy that is well implemented!
If being “world class” appeals to you, here are some questions for you to consider:
- Who are my customers and and why do they have confidence in my business?
- What is the range of my services and products and how do I meet my customers’ needs?.
- Can what I am doing be easily copied? Strategists talk about barriers to entry…
- Am I able to get repeat business? Think about how to develop customers for life.
- Who does my team work for? Typically the team in a company works for one of three people 1. They work for the owner “I work for Jim”
2. They work for the company “I work for ABC Ltd”
3. Or they work for themselves “I just work here for the money”
- Is my company administration well ordered? Poor admin always leads to poor service…
- Do I use Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure success and focus effort on what’s important
- Do I have a clear and believable plan for Growth over the next 1 to 5 years?
- What would happen to my business if I went away for 3 months? Is the business reliant on your personal knowledge and reputation? Or do customers look to speak to your team?
Has this article got you thinking about your business and how you want to grab the reins and drive it forward but you struggle to find the time or feel that you lack the skills or knowledge to do so?
Are you looking at your screen wondering how or if Good2Great could possibly help you to build a better future for you and your company?
If so, why not check out free ways to learn more either at a seminar or in a free one-to-one business health check.
OR – perhaps you’re still at the start of your business journey – check out the Business Start Up Bootcamps